Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lodge Logic Dutch Oven Homestyle Ribs Recipe

Ribs covered in bbq & molasses.
I experimented with some new flavors the other night and thought I'd share.  The ribs were SO good, once they were all gone we bottled up the bbq sauce that was in the dutch ovens and put it back into the fridge for another go-round.

(For a great homemade cornbread recipe for your Dutch oven, check out this post.)

My usual recipe simply calls for straight Kraft Original BBQ sauce that I'm pretty sure is in just about every grocery store.  I originally bought it because it was only $0.99 per bottle.  It tasted so good that it has become a staple at our house ever since (and it is still one of the cheapest bbq sauces in our store.)

I stuff the dutch oven to the rafters with ribs then cover them with about four bottles of Kraft bbq sauce. Since you want your ribs as close to fully submerged as possible to keep them from drying out during cooking, I fill the empty Kraft bottles with water and swish them around to get the leftover sauce out and pour that into the oven.  After rinsing the bottles a few times each, I usually have the ribs covered in liquid.

Someone snuck a bottle of Sweet
and Spicy Chipotle sauce in on me!
This time, however, I happened to open a cabinet and see an old bottle of Brer Rabbit Mollasses that had been sitting in my cupboard for a while.  The light bulb in my head when on and I poured the entire bottle over the ribs.

This sweetened up the ribs terrifically.  The ribs were a huge hit and I look forward to making them again!

Don't forget to turn your Dutch oven every 15 minutes or so while they cook.  If you leave them in the same spot for too long, you may get a hot spot burn. Always rotate your oven 90 degrees clockwise AND turn your lid 90 degrees counter-clockwise.  This will keep the hot spots both on the lid and underneath the oven from sitting in one spot for too long. 

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. yum...did you cook those over an open fire? I have smoked some on the grill wrapped in aluminum foil but have never put the sauce on them beforehand. I think I'll have to dig out the dutch oven and give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mamma I cook over coals 90% of the time. At least when I'm cooking at home. I've cooked over an open fire a few times to try it out. It works just the same. I only prefer coals b/c I know exactly how many to put above and below the dutch oven.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!