|Macky & The Queen in The Fun House|
We sat down and wrote ideas on how to raise the $60 we would need to get into the fair. Sell homemade soap, garage sales and mowing lawns were offered up...among other things. Since time was of the essence, I chose to sell some of our meager silver savings. Around 11pm on Friday night, I posted an advertisement on CraigsList offering my silver Walking Liberties at spot prices. I stated in the ad that I was looking to raise funds to take my kids to the fair. I had a response by 7am the next morning.
|Walking Liberties and Buffaloes we sold.|
- enjoyed a bowl of Dippin' Dots (the BEST ice cream EVAR!)
- got lost in the House of Mirrors
- laughed their way through a Fun House
- screamed their way through the House of Horrors
- slobbered over deep fried Oreos and butter cups
- learned that money can be earned by raising 4H animals
- practice the art of making a fly fishing lure
|Yes honey, it IS harder than it looks.|
- some goes to buy the next animal for the next 4H competition
- some goes to his college fund (he's in 8th grade now)
- and some goes to his church mission fund
He was allowing himself just a little for splurge spending. What a terrific lesson for my girls!
|Flower learns Fly Tying!|
It was a beautiful, sunny day and I can guarantee they'll never forget their first trip to the fair. I used to get the silver coins out on occasion and let them play with the shiny trinkets as they clanked around on the floor. I was attempting to teach them about savings. The coins taught me a much bigger lesson this time...it's wise to save for the future but it is equally wise to enjoy the limited time you have with your children in a way you won't soon forget.