Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Fire! Hay Baler Bursts into Flames

A day in the life of an Oklahoma farmer...
With a few hours to kill before work,  I sat in the driveway contemplating how I wanted to spend this rare (read: free time)  opportunity. My neighbor to the south stopped by to introduce himself.  He's live there 40+ years and his homestead used to belong to my great-grandfather.
15 minutes into our interesting conversation,  a huge plume of black smoke appeared a mile or so to the north of us. The width and color of the plume told me that this wasn't a trash burn.  Dressed in my hospital scrubs and ready for action,  I big farewell to my neighbor and headed north. 

(to be continued tonight)... 

Well, it took me a little longer to get back to the post than I expected. I actually typed the above paragraphs from my Droid cell phone while waiting on my lunch order at Taco Bueno. LoL.

So, I have a little down time at work now and figured I better tie this post up once and for all. There's really not too much left to tell that I didn't include in my YouTube video except to say that everyone was okay and unharmed when it was all over. My neighbor spotted smoke coming from his hay baler as he turned the tractor around and was able to unhook the baler from the tractor quickly.

The baler was a complete loss but he did manage to save the tractor. Here's the video:


6 comments:

  1. OPSEC. Remove the name of the town from your video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to my friend. The baler burst into flames and he got the tractor unhooked in time. The baler actually wasn't a total loss and volunteer fire dept showed up in time. His dog was over excited though about the whole ordeal and he was more worried about her than the baler. In OKLA also :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! You some kind of expert? Great message. Can you tell me how to follow your blog
    Chrysler Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balers will do that! Generally a bearing goes out, makes heat and sparks then whoom! Fire! We've had to put several out through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Balers will do that! Generally a bearing goes out, makes heat and sparks then whoom! Fire! We've had to put several out through the years.

    ReplyDelete

Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!