Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Mixed Results Among Our Garden


A quick update on the garden. The corn (pictured) is coming along VERY nicely. This is from a non-hybrid seed purchased from Seed For Security as advertised on InfoWars.com.

The carrots have sprouted ONE stem in each 3x3 foot raised-bed garden box. Bummer! The potatoes haven't grown at all. I dug up one purple and one regular potato and they looked exactly like they did when I planted them two months ago. (Update: potatoes are growing like crazy now in June!)

The strawberries are withering away and turning brown. I was warned they don't do well in our Arizona sun outdoors. The kids picked/ate the first few tiny strawberries and I haven't seen any since. (Update: 4 out of 5 crowns survived, one had a "run" and created a "sister" crown so we still have five growing. Not producing much but still green in June!)

The cucumbers and squash have sprouted 3-4 stems. We planted two rows of cucumbers and one row of squash so not TOO bad...I guess. (Update: these are growing well, especially the squash in June)

The lettuce is doing amazingly well again.

GARDEN GROWING ESSENTIALS
A few things that can help boost success with tricky crops like carrots, potatoes, and strawberries:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm I know nothing about growing stuff in Arizona. However I would recommend you leaving a comment on Anne's site (Rambling Anne) there is a link from my blog. She knows everything there is to know about plants and until recently grew stuff out West.

    ReplyDelete

Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!

The Art of Shaving

In my dream world, I shave about as often as a Roberts man in all my Duck Dynasty glory. In the real world, I have a job that requires me to...