Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review: Remington 870 Knoxx Tactical

Stock photo of a Remington 870 Knoxx Tactical
First, the obligatory disclaimer: Everyone has their own opinion on which gun is the best gun for any given situation. The Remington 870P Knoxx Tactical happens to be my personal choice for home defense.  If you disagree, that's okay.  We CAN agree that A GUN is better than NO GUN for home defense.

Now, I did my research and read several opinions on which gun is best for my situation.  My situation being that I wanted a gun for home self defense.  I then consulted one of my best buds who is also a police officer.  He went through a website with me, gun by gun, and laid it all out.

After a short Q & A session, it was clear to me that the Remington 870 12GA was the gun I wanted.  My bud insisted on a few mods and advised me to never compromise on a gun. He said "There's a lot of things you can buy second hand for less money. Don't ever do it with your main weapons." 

He added a Knoxx SpecOps stock to add a great reduction in recoil.  A Blackhawk SpecOps Power Pack shell holder adds five shells to my 6 + 1 for a total of 12 shells. The black oxide finish make for a sleek and stealthy looking gun.

Shooting with my buds, wearing my "Hillbilly Gucci".
So far, I am VERY happy with the shotty.  At seven pounds, I can swing from target to target with little effort.  The weight also makes it fast from ready to shoulder.  This is a quality pump gun and I've put 200+ rounds through it so far with no problems. I like the pistol grip which allows for a quicker and more accurate follow up shot. The collapsable stock makes a huge difference in the recoil. 

I'll most likely be adding a SureFire Integrated Forend WeaponLight at some point in the future. It would be nice to see what I'm shooting at should there ever be an intruder in my house.  As this is my first gun, I need to spend a lot more time getting comfortable with it.  I will continue shooting with my police friends and taking in all the tips and tricks they have to offer. 

Which gun do YOU use for home defense?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!