Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Getting Idaho License Plates

Three two-year plates (3 cars) for only $271. Nice!
Moving to a new state often requires several things such as new driver's license, license plates and automobile registration. Here's what I found out moving to Idaho:

1. You don't need automobile inspections like we did in Arizona. In Arizona, I would have had to drive my vehicle to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) and pay someone to check my car for functional blinker lights, tail lights, brake lights, hazards, mirrors, windshield and bumpers.

In Idaho, don't need that. All they want to do is verify that the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on the paper title matches the VIN on the actual vehicle you are going to register. Now, you can drive each vehicle to the local DMV and they can do it for $14 each or...

You can call your local non-emergency police number and a police officer (in my case, Sheriff) will come to you house and check them all at the same time for free. In turn, you get a pink slip of verification for each vehicle signed by the officer.

Take that pink slip to the local DMV and simply ask for your new plates. Side note: I was happily surprised that I was able to get new two-year plates for three vehicles for $271. That's less than $100 per vehicle for two years worth of tags. I'm digging Idaho!

Oh, and Idaho requires front and back license plates on each vehicle.

2. You will have to take a written test (and pass) to get your Idaho driver's license. You only have 30 days from the day you move to your new homestead to get this done or you could get a ticket if you get pulled over. Same 30 grace period for your license plates.

3. Registration, which is to be kept in the vehicle at all times, will be given to you with your new license plates. The generic plates are available immediately but you can go online and order custom plates if you desire.  There are lots to choose from but I went with incognito generics.



  1. It is good you got that all done. I found out last year, that I was driving my motorhome illegally for the last few years. No one, where I bought it, told me that I had to have a class B license to operate any vehicle over 26,000 GVW and my coach is 26,600 GVW. I got that taken care of as quickly as possible. Had to take a written test first and then a road test. I am now legal.

  2. Nothing on the plates like OJD RCKS???? Lol Glad it was an easy process! :)

  3. Hope you took advantage of the state park pass for at least one of your vehicles.

  4. Famous potatoes! :D You can also get the state park pass when you license, say, a trailer or boat, if that's in your future. Make sure you study/peruse the book before you take the test, if it's been a while since you've been over the wacky details. Wish I could say I aced it when we moved here, but alas, missed by two points and had to pay them for the privilege of taking it again a week or two later.

  5. Didn't know about the park pass until days later. Still one more car to register though. Driver's test is today!


Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!