Saturday, January 17, 2015

Homestead Project: Rain Barrel Catchment System

Future project: water catchment in rain barrels
One of the future projects that I am looking forward to is building a water catching system using my 55 gallon drums. I have twelve at the new homestead after donating ten back in Flagstaff. I simply didn't have the space on the moving trucks to bring all of them with me to Idaho. I donated them to a family that allowed us to stay in their home on the last day of moving since we got snowed in AFTER all of our stuff was packed up and locked onto a trailer.

I bought most of my barrels off of CraigsList and have been trying to garner as many as possible, much like my little 20lb propane tanks (of which I have about eight).

The plan is to create a system much like LDSPrepper demonstrating in his YouTube video here. He incorporated a runoff tube that not only collects a majority of the sediment and debris but it can also be quickly drained via a threaded cap at the end.

I will probably use this system to water the garden but it certainly has more possibilities.  I'm thinking about a configuration that consists of two columns, one on each side of the window. This will also be a good location to keep it hidden from view.

~OJD

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan! How are you planning to get started on that project? I know a lot rainwater catchment systems, but I'm curious as to how you'll be performing your project on that one. At any rate, I hope you'll share the final outcome with us. All the best! :)

    Sharon Strock @ StormChamber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing where you plan to go with that. Having the barrels at the ready is a good start. What you just need to do is to set up and build the catchment system. I agree that watering the garden is just one of its many possible uses as well. You can also use it for other utilities, depending on how you design your system. Good luck!

    Bert Aguilar @ Rainfill Tanks

    ReplyDelete

Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!