Monday, June 13, 2011

Wallow Fire: What's YOUR Disaster Plan?

Image courtesy of hlswatch.com
Tornadoes are devastating Oklahoma, but I don't live there anymore. Riots are breaking out in some locations, but not where I live. Hurricanes hit the coasts annually, but I don't live by the water either. Actually, we're known for not having much water at all where I live...in Arizona.

So what natural disaster do I have to worry about? I thought it would be running out of water, due to a crazed city employee  trying to get some attention by blowing up the water treatment plant. Or a massive power outage, caused by any number of things, shutting off the public water system.

I never thought Arizona's soon-to-be largest wildfire would be raging two hours E/NE of my location. The Wallow fire has already consumed almost half a MILLION acres (443,989 as of 10pm, June 12th) with an ESTIMATED 10% CONTAINMENT. While I'm not in immediate danger, it does cause me to take pause. Am I prepared for a fire?

So it strikes me: What would I do? Water outage: I've stored over 600 gallons. No electricity: I have gas lanterns, stoves, etc.  Approaching fire? Uh....crap! Run? Geez, I don't know.  Images of frantically hosing the house down with my little garden hose fill my head.  Can you fireproof a house by soaking it? I don't think so.  Have NO trees, bushes, grass within 20 yards of the house?  That's not gonna happen. I planted grass for the kids to play on. I planted bushes outside their windows for security/privacy. The neighbor's wood-framed house (on both sides of me) is so close I could probably hear them snore at night, if I tried.

So, there it is: no location is completely safe. You must have a plan. Don't count on any help from the government either.  We're approaching Day 16 and not a word from POTUS about aid. We declared a STATE emergency back on Day 8.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that Arizona is a RED state, passed SB 1070 (anti-ILLEGAL immigration) and is the home of John McCain. Yeah, Obama's probably just...busy.

So take the time to research your location. Look back at history and see what has happened in the past. Are you in the 100 year flood zone? Do you live on the New Madrid, or any other fault line? Figure out what HAS happened and what COULD happen (realistically) and start researching plans. Survivalblog has several articles on Flu Pandemics, Earthquakes, and Floods, just to mention a few. These are real stories from survivors that have lived through the disasters. Here's a list of the Top 10 Worst U.S. Natural Disasters.

Remember the old saying: People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go: check batteries in smoke alarms, practice fire drills with the kids, double check my BOBs, draw an inaccurate retreat map for my mother-in-law...oh wait, did I say that out loud?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't you spam me...I'll just delete it!